Value Stream Mapping Facilitation. Why is value stream mapping such an essential tool for modern IT? And what is a value stream anyway?
Value stream mapping is a Lean tool that has emerged as a critical capability for organizations striving to breakdown silos, minimize waste, shorten lead and cycle times and improve flow across the IT value chain. A value stream is the sequence of activities required to design, produce and deliver a specific product or service.
Before an organization can optimize the flow of activities across a value stream, it must gain visibility into how value is created. Value stream mapping provides that visibility. Widely recognized as an invaluable tool in the DevOps and Agile communities, value streams also play an important role in the newly introduced ITIL 4.
Whenever there is customer demand there is a value stream. The challenge lies in seeing it.
During a value stream mapping workshop, a facilitator leads and coaches a cross-functional team of stakeholders through the value stream mapping methodology and in the use of continuous improvement tools and techniques. A well-executed value stream mapping workshop can be a game changer for organizations - and the facilitator role is key.
Whether you want to learn how to facilitate a Value Stream Mapping workshop or want to better understand what's involved (and how to avoid common pitfalls) this course is for you.
This sixteen (16) hour course describes how value stream mapping is different than other continuous improvement methods, and why and how it enables organizations to significantly improve and optimize performance. The course provides a brief introduction to basic Lean concepts and then takes a deep dive into value stream mapping. Learn about the anatomy of a value stream, how to build an ‘A’ team of stakeholders to map the value stream, and how to plan and lead a value stream transformation.
The course describes a step-by-step approach to preparing for and facilitating a value stream mapping workshop; along with how to overcome common challenges, avoid common mistakes and produce meaningful / actionable deliverables.
Class includes a series of experiential exercises designed to allow attendees to build and practice needed skills. Class also includes access to ITSM Academy's Learner Portaland a toolkit of invaluable checklists and templates participants can use to put those skills to work.
Class also includes experiential exercises and access to ITSM Academy's Learner Portal.
Learning Objectives: During this class, learners acquire a practical understanding of:
- Basic Lean concepts
- Basic value stream concepts
- The elements and parts of a value stream map
- The value stream mapping process
- Value stream mapping roles and activities
- Planning a value stream mapping workshop
- Data collection and analysis and techniques
- Facilitating a workshop
- Producing workshop deliverables
- Building a transformation plan
- How to achieve the desired future state
Come prepared to roll up your sleeves and participate in this highly-experiential workshop.
Delivery: For 16 hours, learners are immersed in material that is presented in a fun, practical manner using exercises and real-world examples.
Audience: This training is designed to prepare attendees to arrange and/or facilitate value stream mapping workshops, whether internally or for their customers. This class is for all professionals and organizations involved in improving the delivery of value to customers including:
- Anyone involved in leading an IT transformation
- Individuals who want to better understand how to use value stream mapping in conjunction with a continuous improvement effort
- Anyone who wants to learn how to facilitate a value stream mapping workshop
- Value stream owners, managers and champions
- Quality, process and continual improvement professionals including consultants, process and practice owners and managers, service management office (SMO) members
- Line managers, team leaders and supervisors who want to improve cross-functional collaboration
Project Management Institute (PMI) Professional Development Units: ITSM Academy is recognized by PMI as a Global R.E.P. Project Management Professionals earn 16 contact hours or PDUs upon completion of this course.
Instructors: As with all ITSM Academy training, our instructors have successful track records as IT professionals and bring that acumen into the classroom. Utilizing the highest quality content, our trainers blend their real-life experiences into lively classroom discussion. Trainers for this course are seasoned professionals, hold multiple IT service management (ITSM), DevOps and Agile industry certifications and have successfully completed ITSM Academy's Train-the-Trainer Program.
Course / Student Materials:
- Access to ITSM Academy's Learner Portal – my.itsmacademy.com – extends the classroom experience with online content and tools
- Digital Learner Manual (excellent post-class reference)
- Learner Personal Action Plan
- Sample documents, templates tools and techniques
- Access to additional sources of information and communities
- Sixteen (16) hours of instructor led training and exercise facilitation
- Participation in unique assignments designed to apply concepts
Classes Held In:
- Live, Virtual Classroom: Log in with the instructor and the other students - no travel!
- Available through our Courseware Licensing Program
- All ITSM Academy courses, including this one, can you presented at your location - Contact Us, or phone 954. 491. 3442 or use the chat below
Learners should only commit to classes they are prepared to attend. ITSM Academy Open Enrollment Class Terms and Conditions.
About Mike Orzen
This course was developed in collaboration with Mike Orzen. Mike is the award-winning best-selling co-author of Lean IT: Enabling and Sustaining Your Lean Enterprise, the book that so many consider “The Bible” of applying Lean to information and technology. Mike delivers a unique blend of Lean, Six Sigma, IT and Operations. He has been consulting and coaching for over 20 years. Mike’s experience includes systems design, enterprise-wide project management and large-scale rollout of Lean initiatives in global companies as guide and coach.